YouTube round-up | (not) Sponsored by slither.io
Aren't those snakes pretty?
Ladies and gentlemen of Retronauts, I come to you today with a sad announcement...I am suffering from a case of slither.io. Out of curiosity, after years of avoiding this easily accessible browser game that I used to admonish my students for playing in their lessons instead of working on whatever they should have been doing when I was a tutor, I decided to see just what the appeal of it was...and now I'm hooked. Forever seeking to create the biggest snake I can in a huge battle arena filled with daring sorties and swoops upon the enemy that might just be a work of staggering genius. Or, in truth, a procrastinator's wet dream that will forever take them away from the task of doing work...but no matter -- despite my affliction, I come to you today with that which you expect on a Friday, a round-up of some of the best YouTube content of the last few days. Just don't let the snakes find out, or they will wrap themselves around me again. So, quickly...
- If you want the most awesome, in-depth looks at Amiga games around, you might want to look at LemonTubeAmiga -- a man with a northern accent, responsible for one of the Internet's longest lasting Amiga sites, his videos are great and regularly go over an hour. Such is the case with this guide to Zeewolf 2.
- If you're looking to shoot a post-apocalyptic film, Detroit is a fine bet. BrightSun Films lead the way with another ABANDONED video that takes us inside an abandoned hospital...yes yes, Silent Hill 2 and all that.
- Pushing Up Roses is expanding to films! Today she has a look at that cult '80s classic, Clue. Not exactly liked on release, it's certainly got some staying power...mainly because it's jolly funny.
- Norm, AKA The Gaming Historian, is back with another video about a legend of Nintendo lore -- R.O.B. The Robot. He doesn't fight with R.O.B. over a cityscape, but he does tell you all about the famed bag o' bolts.
- LGR has a video all about the Tapwave Zodiac...it's a handheld video game console AND a personal digital assistant, and it was about as successful as that sentence makes it sound. Definitely not worth a buy, but the video is worth a look.
- The archives of legendary early Web review show Consolevania have been made available on their official channel. While new episodes are readily available on Patreon, their old content is LEGEND. Here, just for an example, is the first episode of Series 2, all the way from 2005.
- Techmoan's video this week is a truly excellent one about an iconic record player -- the AudioTechnica Sound Burger. You see it in old adverts, you crave it, you wish you had hundreds of dollars to spend on it...and here's a video telling you all about it, and how you could possibly snag one for a decent price.
- My Life in Gaming has an hour long video paying tribute to the Wii Shop. You will no longer be able to buy points for the shop from March 28th, so this video is a reminder to get whatever you need to get while you still can.
- Nostalgia Nerd loves to create commentaries for classic episodes of his favourite UK retro game show, Bad Influence. Here's episode 2.5 -- watch in horror at the failed systems and worse haircuts on display.
- The old style of YT is still comforting, and few do it better than Steve Benway -- a legend of the UK retro community. Here he tries out a new tape drive emulator on the best looking computer of all-time, the Commodore PET. Recommended for the PET alone.
There! Ten nice, long videos for you to get on with. Should sort you out nicely for the weekend! And with that said, it's time for me to head back into the battlefield...I'll get that 10,000-point anaconda yet, mark my words. Don't try to save me from myself. Bye for now!